South Australia introduced amendments to the registration requirements for people who "inspect and test fire suppression systems". The amendment was introduced to facilitate a more efficient method to recognise people working in the fire protection industry who may not satisfy the license and registration requirements for plumber and gas fitting work as set out in the Plumber, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act (SA) 1995.
These registration types are for people who only perform “test and inspect” work. There are different registration requirements for people performing installation or repair work.
People performing this work must not do so without registration after November 1, 2019 for those not enrolled in training, and after April 6, 2021 for those enrolled in training.
In order to satisfy the requirements for the "inspect and test fire suppression systems", the following units of competency are to be completed from the CPP20511 Certificate II in Fire Protection Inspection and Testing:
- CPPCMN2002 or CPPCMN2002A - Participate in workplace safety arrangements
- CPPFES2006A – Prepare for installation and servicing operations
- CPPFES2004A – Identify types of installed fire safety equipment and systems
- CPCPFS3040A or CPCPFS3020A – Conduct basic functional testing of water-based fire-suppression systems
- CPCPFS3041A or CPCPFS3021A – Inspect and test fire pump sets
- CPPFES2010A – Inspect and test fire hose reels
- CPPFES2037A – Inspect and test fire hydrant systems
There are a range of providers who can deliver this course and assist workers seeking to become registered. The department of Consumer and Business Services ("CBS"), South Australia provide further information on these requirements. The current list of providers on the CBS website include;
- Fire Protection Association Australia, T: 1300 731 922
- Pacific Institute of Technology, T: (08) 7200 3802
- Haz-Ed Services, T: (08) 9248 8099
- Fire Industry Training, T: (03) 9356 7377