AS1851 AS2220 - Testing warning tones

A friend of mine, David called me and asked for clarification to the question how often am i required to test the alert and evacuate tones for a warning system?

The Australian Standard AS1851:2005 provides the framework to answer your question.

The answer can be found in Section 9, in Table 9.4.2 which reads as follows;

TABLE 9.4.2
TESTING AND RECORDS SCHEDULE -
SOUND SYSTEMS FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES
Item No. Item Action required & pass/fail
requirement
Frequency Records
2.1 Warning system test SIMULATE an alarm condition and confirm the alert and evacuate tones sound. M 6 Y 5Y Result Pass/Fail Comment
2.13 Visual warning devices TEST the operation of the visual warning devices. - - Y 5Y Result Pass/Fail Comment

The next question may be, "How often do I need to test the warden intercom phones?"

Again, the answer can be found in Table 10.4.2 as follows;

TABLE 10.4.2
TESTING AND RECORDS SCHEDULE -
INTERCOM SYSTEMS FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES
Item No. Item Action required & pass/fail
requirement
Frequency Records
2.1 Warden intercom point (WIPs) INITIATE a call from each WIP and confirm that each WIP is indicating and clearly communicating with the intercom panel. - - Y - Result Pass/Fail Comment
2.2 WIPs INITIATE a call to each WIP and confirm that each WIP is indicating and clearly communicating with the intercom panel. - - Y - Result Pass/Fail Comment

Hopefully David, this clears up the questions you have about the frequency of inspection and test of Sound Systems and Intercom Systems for Emergency Purposes.

Regards,

Russ

References:
Australian Standard AS1851:2005