Victoria: When is a Plumbing Compliance Certificate Required?

The Plumbing Regulations 2008 (Vic) set out the definition and requirements for plumbing work in Victoria. The Regulations also set out the requirements for a Licensed Plumbing Practitioners to issue a Compliance Certificate.

Licensed Plumbing Practitioners, must issue a compliance certificate for all plumbing work that falls into the following types:

  • Where the total value of work, including materials and any appliances, labour and GST, is more than $750 (material costs must be included, regardless of whether the materials, or appliances, were supplied by another person)
  • The installation, relocation or replacement of any Type A gas-using appliances, regardless of the cost (Compliance Certificates do not apply to Type B gasfitting work)
  • The conversion of a gas-using appliance for use with a different gaseous fuel
  • The installation, modification or relocation of consumer gas piping (other than work carried out on behalf of a gas company)
  • The construction, installation or alteration of any below ground sanitary drain or associated gullies
  • The construction, installation, alteration, relocation or replacement of a cooling tower or of any other part of a cooling tower system (including the installation or replacement of any associated device or equipment.

Licensed Plumbing Practitioners must issue a completed Compliance Certificate within five days of the completion of plumbing work or within five days of the termination of a plumbing work contract. Details of the Compliance Certificate must also be lodged with us within five days of completion of plumbing work.

Plumbing work is considered to be completed when the work is used (other than for a test), or when capable of being used within an existing system - whichever comes first.

Fire Protection Work

For clarity, it is worth confirming the regulations define fire protection work as; construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration, maintenance, testing or commissioning of any part of a water service used for fire fighting, from the point of connection of the service to the water supply to any fire fighting device or equipment forming part of that service, including the following equipment:

  • a fire hydrant or hose reel;
  • a residential or domestic fire sprinkler system;
  • a commercial or industrial fire sprinkler system;
  • a fire system pump set other than the commissioning of a fire system pump set;
  • any design work that is incidental to, or associated with, any work described above

More information

If you are not sure if you require a compliance certificate or simply need some helpful advice, please feel free to email or telephone our support team on 1300 30 88 22.