AS1851-2005 Amendment 2 - Published
Earlier today SAI Global (Standards) finally published Amendment 2 of AS1851-2005. This new amendment applies 48 changes, bring the total changes to AS1851 including the 27 changes from Amendment 1 to a total of 75 changes.
Amendment 2 - Summary
This Amendment applies to the inside front cover, the title page, the Preface table, Clauses 1.5.3, 1.5.14 (new), 1.5.15 (new), 1.5.16 (new), 1.9, 1.15.2, 1.15.5, 1.16 (new), 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 3.2.1, 184.108.40.206, 18.2.2, 18.2.3 and 19.4.1(a) and Tables 1.11(B), 1.15, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 4.4.1, 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 7.4.1, 7.4.2, 9.4.1, 9.4.2, 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 11.4.1, 11.4.2, 15.4.1, 15.4.2, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 19.4.1 and 19.4.2 and Appendix C.
The project page for this Amendment 2 states that the project objective is to deliver urgent corrections to correct errors however when you dissect the amendment you find more than just error corrections as follows;
- Three additional definitions; High rise, Liquefied gas, Non-liquefied gas
- Tolerance for weekly sprinkler testing; reduced from three working days to two working days
- Maintenance records to be kept for a minimum period of seven years
- Clause 188.8.131.52 has been completely replaced relating to when weekly testing may be omitted
- Clause 184.108.40.206 has been completely replaced relating to when weekly testing of compression ignition engine driven pumpsets may be omitted
Significantly AS1851 is still struggling to be accepted and applied universally across Australia with each state and territory having different regulations.
The challenge going forward continues to be acceptance by regulators, building owners, service providers and consultants of the standard.
I suspect Amendment 2 will continue the improvements and help with the uptake of the standard but there is still a great deal of room for technical improvements and simplification.